- Aldi have a nice looking range of Argentinian wines on offer right now, including a Magnum of Malbec! More here.
- Our chums at Waitrose are doing 25% off selected wines. More details here.
- If you missed the January Tasting, don’t miss Brian’s Mavrodaphne recipes!
- WAS Member, John Hemsley has written this guide to supermarket wines available from December with ratings and recommendations.
- Richard Bampfield, MW has just sent us his LIDL January wine recommendations.
- Our first remote wine tasting over Zoom was a big success. Wines from Aldi, recommended by Jilly Goolden and matching Aldi snacks went down a treat and gave members the chance to see each other and chat in a way the Barn doesn’t allow. Save the 21st Jan for the next one. Details to follow soon.
- Checkout the Wine Society’s Instagram for lots of useful info and programmes including our current favourite – Jancis Robinson’s Desert Island Wines.
- Supermarket offers: Sainsbury has 25% off selected bubbly when you buy 6, till Dec 13th. Tesco is currently offering 25% off 6 bottles of wine, Waitrose has a bunch of offers online and in store and Morrisons also has several 3 for 2 and multi-buy offers.
- After months of lockdown, we are preparing our first tasting for several months. Check out the tastings page for details of our first virtual tasting (with food) from the comfort of your own home. Jilly Goolden’s selection from Aldi!
- 20% Off Champagne at Berry Brothers. Our top tip is £35 for Pol Roger white foil, but there are some decent bubblies there.
- 10% Discount for WAS Members at Joie de Vin. Just enter WC10 in the discount code box at the checkout.
Check out ItalVinus for a vast range of Italian wines, including many that are hard or impossible to source in UK. We’d been looking for more of the delicious Tai Rosso that we enjoyed in Venice last year, and which was nowhere to be found in UK. Italvinus have about six different examples.
Ordering is quick and easy online, you get excellent updates from Italvinus and the fully-trackable shipment via TNT comes within a week. The packaging too is superb – a real treat for any corrugated cardboard aficionado.
- For those of you who worked at IBM in 1998, or know someone who did, the old Who’s who has been found. So if you’d like a blast from the past click here to download it.
- Slurp Wines are offering us 10% off their wholesale pricelist. Please send your orders to Mike on email@example.com and he will confirm payment and other details. Please do not send money until requested. The discount is 10% plus VAT (ie 108% of the price you see). Any wines with underlined prices are excluded as they are already as low as they can go! This offer has now ended.
- Our presenter from the Feb Lidl event, Richard Bampafield (MW) has just sent through details of the new wines arriving in Lidl this week, including his favourites. Click here for details.
- This £9 Surrey Vineyard Train Tour with bubbly for 2, (62% off) gets a thumbs up from the WAS Committee – click here for details.
- In Italy, a technical fault causes Lambrusco to pour from taps! Read More!
- From Decanter magazine: Grand Tasting ( £55) more than 300 of Spain and Portugal’s finest wine. 11.am – 5 pm 29 FEBRUARY at the Land Mark Hotel London NW1. Details at www.decanter.com/events.
- A nationwide blind tasting was held recently by Majestic wines. More than 25,000 people blind tasted a variety of red and white wines across Majestic’s 200 stores. Sicilian red Nero d’Avola came top in 78% of their stores and white Sauvignon Blanc was the white of choice in 68% of the stores.
- The Wine Society: Weds May 27 Off the beaten track – a grower’s tasting 6-8.30pm £30 the Guildhall, Winchester. Tasting unusual wines from unusual places. Romania, Austria and Greece to name but a few. There are many tastings based in London as well as in Bournemouth and Oxford in the next 3 months, if you can make Winchester. www.thewinesociety.com/tastings
- The Naked Grape: Lots of in shop tastings at their 3 shops in Arlesford, Four Marks and Hungerford. See web site for details especially the Great Easter Tasting.
- The December Tasting featured some scrumptious food including some Sticky Hoisin Sausages. The recipe can be downloaded here! Enjoy!
- Tesco has their 25% off 6 or more bottles deal running until 18th. One of our favourites is the Rose Sauvignon Blanc from Mud House. down from £9 to £7.50 before the 25% off! Bargain!
- Lidl’s Winter Wine Tour has been announced. And we even have personal favourites from Master of Wine, Richard Bampfield to help you choose!
- Caviste are holding a Rusden Wines Tasting Day on Saturday 14th December at both their Newlyns and Overton stores. This exclusive Australian import is just in time for your Christmas reds and a few whites too.
- New Zealand’s Felton Road have issued their 2018 Sampler Packs, ready for order. Click here for details.
- Travelzoo are advertising an interesing Wines of Northern Italy travel tour- 9 nights from £749 per person. Click here for details.
- Free sampling of festive refreshments in The Naked Grape shop in Four Marks. Autumn/Winter Tastings on Sat Nov 30th 1-6pm. 01420 562060
- Port and Cheese Masterclass – An indulgent evening matching port and cheese around a special dining table set up in the Four Marks Naked Grape shop. Friday 13 December 8-10pm £40 per ticket. Port expert Simon will be your host. 01420 562060
- Decanter magazine have issued the list of Decanter 2019 World Wine Awards. See them in full on: Decanter.com Also published there is a UK Shopper’s guide listing the High Street winners.
- Look out for our 2020 AGM at which we will be presenting a flight of 8-10 of these wines who won Platinum or Gold awards. If you see any wines you fancy buying in the lists be sure to buy them soon, as they often sell out very quickly. We went hunting in Majestic, M & S and Morrisons on Thursday 8 August. They had not then got their supplies and merchandising material in then but it will be soon. Suggest you ring the store to avoid disappointment . Happy hunting!
- A fun article by the Mail’s A. N. Wilson, paying his respects to wine connoisseur Auberon Waugh.
- WineWine Education Week 09-15 September. Take a look through this list of events to find WSET sponsored course throughout UK. Some locally in Winchester.
- Don’t forget to book your tickets now for the Decanter Fine Wine Encounter, 2-3 November 2019 . The Landmark Hotel, London NW1. Meet the winemakers and taste more than 600 fine wines all under one roof. Also Masterclasses. Book via the link above or by calling 02031484484
- The Wine Society have published their tastings for the next 3 months (October-December). There are lots in London, one in Oxford on 8 October, one in Winchester on 2 December. Book early as the meetings often sell out. thewinesociety.com/tastings 01438 741177